Girl Child- A boon to the society?


Amidst all chaos in life, today I felt to write on an occasion that I was a part of. It was a seven months "Baby Shower" ceremony of a couple who are a very good neighbor of mine. I was invited to their house party. It was a small function with their own family members of the would be father's parents, his sister, sister's kids and his wife (the would be mother). Since I am their neighbor, the only outsider they have invited in this COVID situation, naturally to make me feel a part of their family they were very busy with providing me food, sweets, clicking pictures, the kids were playing with me. 

I also thought of clicking few pictures of them thus took out my DSLR and started clicking pictures. They started posing, changed dresses and again posed. I was delighted to see the old parents caring so much for their daughter in law, which is very difficult to see in Indian households.

The would be father suddenly brought few hand made props and asked every one to pick one for the photo shoot. There were "a boy to be"," a girl to be", " happy mother", "happy father", "happy family" props.
I was shocked to see no one picked up "a girl to be" prop. The guy wanted to give it to his mother but she was reluctant to take it and when the father was asked, the sister replied "we all want a baby boy". I took that prop proudly smiled and took a selfie with them.

So this is Indian society where the would be father and mother are working in IT companies, the parents, sister every one is educated. But a girl is still not accepted in the society. Feeling a lump in my throat I clicked  their pictures, packed my camera and came back home.

There are so many laws, NGOs, Government bodies that are working for the upliftment of girl child, but if in the roots of a family the negligence of not accepting a girl child remains, its all futile. 

Do remember a Girl Child is a boon that happens to those parents who are empowered themselves. Everyone is not fortunate enough to be a girl's parents.

Please do give it a thought. Your actions will pave the way for better India!

Comments

  1. Yes we should give these small things a thought,high time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to 21st Century India! It is no less than Middle ages. People still believe in such retarded customs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True...we still have to fight each one of them. All of us have a long way to go !!

      Delete
  3. Excellent thought. Gender discrimination is deeply rooted in our society. Its a challenge. Iam proud of you. Goahead. Ma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really a nice idea and gives a different thought to people. I think this should be applied in real life too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Trek to Remember- Embracing a Journey of Discovering Nature!!

Gardening-An art of Delight